Thursday, October 14, 2010

"significant other"

There are a lot of terms that can be used to refer to the person with whom you are romantically involved. There is the prototypical boyfriend/ girlfriend or husband/ wife. There are derogatory/ possessive terms- bitch, ho, old lady, ball and chain, sugar daddy, etc (ever notice most of those are for women?). Then there are the generic, non gender specific "significant other", spouse, partner, boo, sweetie, etc.

It's hard to find the right terms to fit your relationship. You have to consider gender, how serious the relationship is, is it exclusive or open, monogamous or polyamorous?

I feel like I've outgrown boyfriend/ girlfirend. I refer to the two main guys from my past as my "highschool boyfriend" and my "college boyfriend" so it feels wrong to refer to the man in my life right now as a boyfriend. So what do I call him then?

Husband, spouse and any derogatory or possessive terms are obviously out. Significant other is something you see on a form... I like partner. It's gender neutral and egalitarian, but I feel that it is a little too strong for where we're at right now. I don't really like sugary terms like sweetie or hunny, and I call my bff Katy boo... so those are out.

I've decided I like beau. (pronounced like bow). According to dictionary.com, beau is "a frequent and attentive male companion". That seems accurate. Plus, it has an old feel too it and reminds me of an Oscar Wilde play.

What do you call your "significant other(s)"?

No comments:

Post a Comment