Friday, May 20, 2011

Vegan Chili: Foodie Friday

I'm an omnivore, but mostly when I eat out. At home I tend to cook a lot of vegetarian and vegan meals.
It has been a rainy and chilly spring here in Boston, so I want to warm up with some of my delicious Vegan Chili.

Tashia's Vegan Chili (makes about 10 bowl size servings)



1 package Frieda's Soyrizo or Trader Joe's Brand Soy Chorizo
2tsp olive oil
1 green bell pepper- (diced)
1 red bell pepper (diced)
1 large yellow or white onion (diced)
2 gloves garlic, minced
1 large can crushed tomatoes
2 cans diced tomatoes
1 1/3 cups water
3 cans of assorted beans- I like to use one can black, one can kidney, and one can small red beans
seasoning:
1tsp crushed red pepper
2tsp chili powder
1tsp paprika
salt and pepper to taste
a couple shakes of hot sauce or some cayenne pepper to spice things up!

-Heat olive oil in the bottom of a deep pot, add veggies, garlic and crushed red pepper. Saute until onions and garlic are transulcent. Add soy chorizo and diced tomatoes, bring to a simmer.
-Add can of crushed tomatoes, water, beans and seasonings, bring to a boil.
-Reduce heat and simmer, covered for 20minutes.
-Serve with tortilla chips (nonvegans can also add shredded cheese and/or sour cream!)

I love soy chorizo and any dish made with it. I also love dishes that I can make in bulk and freeze.

* Image is from Frieda's website! http://www.friedas.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment