Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Work-it! Wednesday 5/25/2011

Since this is my last Wednesday working at my current job, it only seems fit to explain how I came to the conclusion that it was definitely time to move on to a new job.

I mentioned in a previous post that one of my coworkers, Carin, died in the office. Prior to that event happening, I had been planning to find a new job in the summer or fall of 2011, but I wasn't totally sold on it. After Carin's death I felt like I should waste any more time working for a company that encourages a complete lack of work/ life balance. I found myself not wanting to get up and go to work in the morning at all, watching the clock all day waiting to go home.

However, when you're employed in an economy with unemployment rates around 9-10%, it is hard to take the plunge and look towards starting something new. It is especially hard if looking and applying for jobs if that means risking your job security by letting your supervisor know you're looking elsewhere. This was the conundrum I found myself in beginning in January. I was ready to leave then, but since I had made a commitment to my job through the end of the college recruitment season, I was afraid to start looking so far out from the summer.

Fortunately my boss gave me the push I needed. In early March I sent my boss an email requesting some time off for my birthday vacation. She responded with a simple question- "what is your last day on staff?". I was caught totally off guard. And when I told her that I wasn't sure yet, but was planning to leave some time this summer, she decided for me that my last day would be around 5/31. It felt like she couldn't wait to get rid of me. That is probably true, but now I see that that push was exactly what I needed to start an aggressive job search and make myself happy again.

I'm very happy that my boss lit that fire for me. To make a long story short, I've been increasingly displeased with this company and how they treat their employees. I'm so excited to start my new job next week!

2 comments: