"Without goals, and plans to reach them, you are like a ship that has set sail with no destination." Fitzhugh Dodson
It's good to have goals, but it's also easy to get bogged down by them. Recently I've found myself getting really overwhelmed by the big picture. Will I achieve what I want to in the next 5 years? When will I make time for grad school? When and where do I want to settle down and have a family?
Those are some big questions, and ones that I really don't know the answers to. Life throws curve balls at you all the time. You may leave port with a destination in mind, but sometimes the winds change direction and you just have to roll with it. That's why my new approach is to focus on specific, attainable short term goals. I was inspired by Kathy at Life as I Know It, and her commitment to the 101 in 1001 project. 1001 days is a little too far ahead for me to think right now, so here is my version:
25 by 25
25 goals I plan to complete by my 25th birthday. So 25 goals I will achieve by May 5th, 2012. Since I didn't decide to do this until over 3 months after my birthday, I'm going to include a few things I've accomplished in the past few months. I'll post an updated list once a month so you can see how I'm doing. 2. Visit 3 U.S. States I've never been to.
3. Post 50 blog entries between 5/5/11 and 5/5/12. (This post will be #12)
4. Get 40 followers for Eating Feelings (I'm at 9 now, invite your friends!)
5. Put my feet in the Pacific Ocean.
6. Obtain a passport.
7. Visit Canada.
8. Cook with 5 ingredients I've never used.
10. Read 10 books or plays.
11. See all of the 2012 Best Picture Oscar Nominees before the Oscars.
12. See a concert.
13. See a play.
14. Buy 3 things from Etsy.com
Skindura Secret Shield
15. Go to the dentist for the first time in over 5 years.
17. Participate in the 2012 AIDS Walk Boston and raise more than the $100 I raised in 2011.
18. Get two haircuts. (This may seem like a small task, but it's been over a year since my last one)
19. Take 4 day trips to places I can't get to on the subway.
20. Tour the Sam Adams Brewery.
21. Make tortillas from scratch.
22. Get my first tattoo.
23. Get a good pair of dressy winter boots.
24. Complete
25. Make a list of 26 goals to accomplish by my 26th birthday!

Glad I could inspire you! They sound like good goals. And for #4, look at the site www.20sb.net. I have met most of the internet friends that I follow/that follow me on there.
ReplyDelete