Monday, August 8, 2011

Rant-Worthy: Cat Calls and Unsolicited Flirting

Do you have things that people do that just get under your skin? Actions people take that push you toward the edge? Whether they be political, social or personal, we all have things to rant about on occasion. I pledge- right here, right now- to write about these everyday annoyances, instead of letting them get me down. Hell, maybe one of you will sympathize and feel compelled to share your own stories on the subject.

So, what has been getting me worked up lately? The topic of today's rant is:  

Cat Calls and Unsolicited Flirting
At least 3-4 times a week for the past few months I've been on the receiving end of some unsolicited flirting/ cat calls. We've all been there, right ladies? You're walking down the street/ in the parking lot/ on the bus,going about your business. You're grocery shopping, getting a cup of coffee, reading your morning paper, walking your dog when some guy struts by or sits next to you and decides to say hello. "Hey beautiful" "Hello sexy" "Looking fine today" "you look great today" etc, etc, etc.

Do people actually think this is going to work, that leading a conversation with a statement based totally on my looks is going to make me swoon?


So, you're probably thinking, "but T, what if I see someone I find interesting/ attractive that I'd like to engage in conversation/ potentially get some digits from"?

Well, there's no harm in starting conversation with a stranger, but you should probably lead with something a little more neutral. Perhaps a simple "Hello" or "How are you today?". Or maybe an observation "you think this rain will ever stop?". If you're feeling brave you could even ask for advice "This is my first time eating here, what's good?".

Signs the person you're pursuing isn't interested:
They aren't making eye contact with you.
They appear suddenly engrossed in their coffee, paper, crackberry, etc.
They are responding with one word answers.
They increase their walking speed, angle their body away from yours, roll their eyes. 
They ignore you all together.
They put in their headphones.

It really isn't rocket science!

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never understood why guys think that sort of thing will work. I mean, do some women actually go for that? Because I feel like they can't have good luck with it.

    ReplyDelete