Friday, August 19, 2011

Getting Groceries without a car: Foodie Friday

Happy Friday y'all!

One of the biggest changes I have made in my life over the past few years was choosing to go car-less. When I decided to move to Boston, I immediately decided to do so without my car. I left my car with my grandparents in Ohio, and never looked back. I'll get into that decision and the benefits of public transit some other time. What I want to write about on this rainy Foodie Friday is getting groceries without a car!

For me the biggest adjustment to life without 4 wheels was changing the way I shop. I used to go grocery shopping once every two weeks and buy about $150-$200 worth of food at a time. I used to drive around town getting things at various supermarkets to get the best prices on the items on my list. Obviously I can't do those things anymore, at least not until I join ZipCar!

Tashia's 3 tips for grocery shopping on foot:

1. ALWAYS Use Reusable Shopping Bags
Reusable shopping bags are good for the environment, easy to carry, and can fetch you a 5-10 cent discount per bag at a lot of stores. It seems like a no-brainer to use them when you go shopping, whether with a car or without. Unfortunately, I had to learn the hard way just how important it is when you don't have a vehicle.

On one of my first trips to the market after moving to Boston I had a really unfortunate experience. One chilly February evening after a long day at the office, I remembered I had no food in my pantry and needed to stop somewhere on the way home. As I was walking home from a successful trip to the local supermarket one of my plastic shopping bags burst open from the bottom. A half gallon of milk clumsily bounced into an icy puddle, a can of soup started rolling away into oncoming traffic, and a jar of pasta sauce shattered at my feet. Cold, tired, and hungry I burst into tears. 

When I finally calmed down I vowed never to go shopping without reusable grocery bags again. I now carry a Chico bag in my purse at all times. These compact little guys are durable, and they don't take up a whole lot of room. 

Image from www.chicobag.com
 

 
You don't have to use fancy bags! You can usually get a basic bag for around $1 at the register of your favorite store. Or, if you don't feel like paying for bags, you can look for them at events. A lot of companies will give them out for free. I got some really durable and colorful ones this year at Boston Pride.

2. Shop More Often
Instead of making a big haul once every two weeks. I make 1-3 quick trips a week. This allows me to go to different stores and get everything that I need, but still be able to carry it all home without struggle.

3. Make a List
Making a grocery list keeps your trips focused and your load light. It helps you stay on budget by reducing impulse buys. And if you're like me and prone to binge eating, making a list is a nice strategy to reduce the amount of junk food in your pantry.

 







 








3 comments:

  1. I always have to grocery shop with a list. I would buy way too much junk food otherwise!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh i hear ya! I use to live in NY and didn't have a car for a while, I hated food shopping. Luckily for me, I had a place near by but even still it was a pain in the ass.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also, I gave you an award over on my blog :)

    ReplyDelete