Sunday, November 20, 2011

10 Day You Challenge: 4 Books

Day 6: Four Books

I took a three day hiatus from my 10 Day You Challenge. I'd feel bad about it, but I've blogged more recently than I had in the previous 6 months! 

I love to read. I always have, so picking just 4 books is so hard!

The Feasting Season by Nancy Coons
Nancy Coons was an American author who frequently lived abroad. She was best known for her travel books, and her commentary on a few NPR shows. She wrote one novel before her death in 2007. Feasting Season follows an American woman living in France with her British husband and children. She sets off to write a traditional travel book but finds herself in a whirlwind affair with her photographer and with french food and wine. I've never seen food described as sexy as it is described in this book. 

Escape by Carolyn Jessop (nonfiction)
I am absolutely fascinated by polygamists. This memoir was written by Carolyn Jessop about her life in the FLDS polygamist cult, and her eventual escape. At 18 Carolyn was forced to marry a man 32 years her senior, becoming his fourth wife. She endured abuse, and had 8 children in the 15 years it took her to build up the courage and resources to escape. I couldn't put this book down!


Yes means Yes! Visions of Female Sexual Power and a World Without Rape by Jaclyn Friedman and Jessica Valenti (nonfiction)
This book is both a celebration of female sexuality and a condemnation of the rape culture. The title, and the book emphasize a shift from victim blaming and making women the gate keepers of sex to a celebration women's sexuality and sexual agency. Yes means yes!


Good in Bed by Jennifer Weiner
Jennifer Weiner is my favorite "chick lit" author. I have read almost all of her books and I love them. Her heroines are always really easy to identify with. Good in Bed is where she got her start and one of my favorites. The story follows 28 year old Cannie through the aftermath of the publication of a story written by her exboyfriend entitled "Loving a Larger Woman".



No comments:

Post a Comment